7-9 BYOD iPad program
You may elect to purchase your own IPad independently or use an IPad you already own. The IPad must be an IPad 3 with 32gb or higher. 16 Gigabyte IPads do not store enough data to work effectively.
- The school recommends an IPad Air or Air 2 32Gb or more wireless model, but we can accommodate other models.
- It must be a full sized IPad (i.e. not a IPad Mini) and not a IPad 1.
- A 32GB IPad will be sufficient for school, but at this size other content apps or music may need to be removed to allow effective operation of school apps.
- We strongly recommend the Wi-Fi only model to reduce cost to parents and to ensure internet usage at the School is filtered.
- All IPads should be fitted with a robust IPad case (Otterbox Defender) and all students will need a set of headphones.
You may now purchase an iPad directly through Office Max as part of the school booklist. Ensure that you compare the insurance and extended warranty when comparing the cost with other providers, they have a big impact on the cost but are highly recommended. Once you have placed an order the iPad and books will be delivered to you directly.
Purchasing through the Booklist offers the following advantages:
- Warranty claims can be handled via the School’s IT Support Team.
- We are able to provide swap units to keep kids learning while devices are sent back for repair.
- Extended warranty and insurance available.
When supplying an IPad either externally purchased or already owned, Insurance, warranty and repair support are solely the parents’ responsibility in this option. Kids are kids, we have a large number of cracked screens, often due to simple accidents, screen replacements account for around 90% of issues experienced with iPads, extended cover for this is highly recommended.
- The OtterBox Defender case is recommended for a reason, we have found it to be highly effective. We have 1- 2 cases of accidental damage per year where the device has been properly stored in the OtterBox, an incredible result with so many in the school. We have a high number of breakages where students have used cheap or 'fashionable' slimline cases.
The School is using a Mobile Device Management application to connect the IPad to the School’s network and to push out free and paid apps. Instructions are under the 'Setting up for school' link.
Some Learning Areas have other prescribed resources – both printed and eBook. Access to these resources will occur through the booklist process and you will need to submit your order to Office Max to gain access to these resources.
Students are welcome to install any free apps at home but the paid apps will be installed automatically at the beginning of the school year when the IPad is brought to school – as long as the Network Access Charge has been paid. Any free apps that are not installed prior to the beginning of the school year will also be installed automatically when the IPad first comes to school.
Although there are many free applications, some applications require a payment and the iTunes store may request that a credit card be attached to the account. BHS does not recommend that this be done and instead recommends that parents purchase iTunes gift cards for this purpose.